Friday, December 21

Back to the Mall to Visit with Santa

When Karis was one, I went to the mall to get a photo of her with Santa. We waited in a long line, and to my surprise, our little social butterfly was terrified of Santa. It made for a fun photo, but I decided back then that I wouldn't do it again. 

We then moved to Irvine and our neighborhood had a Christmas party every year that Mr. and Mrs. Claus attended. Santa had a horribly fake beard, but we at least got a picture with him in an easy and stress-free way. 

Makena has never been a fan of Santa. I love the series of photos I got of her the first time she met him (click here to see the photos).  Even the year after, she wouldn't sit with him. This year, Makena was excited to see Santa. I told her last night we were going to see Santa and she wanted to go "now." This morning, she was still excited. I asked her what she was going to tell Santa she wanted for Christmas (even though both girls don't really understand who Santa is). She thought about it and then said, "Jesus!" I laughed and then put her shirt on and she said, "I look pretty for Santa." I left the house very hopeful that I was going to get a photo of her on Santa's lap. As we walked through the mall, she called out, "Santa, where are you?" 

There was only one family ahead of us. When it was our turn, Makena had fear in her eyes. Karis hesitated for a few seconds, but she then went up to Santa. Makena refused. I took some photos of Karis and then put Kyle on Santa's lap. I asked Makena to sit with Santa again and she said no. Knowing my child as well as I do, I said, "Makena, Santa will give you candy!" And off she went...




I put Kyle back in the stroller and was ready to go. I looked back and Karis was talking with Santa about what she wants for Christmas. I quickly took another photo and it turned out to be my favorite one.

No comments: