Wednesday, December 12

The Kids' Thoughts on Moving


I started packing one day while the girls were napping.  We had not yet told them we were moving to Texas because the official announcement at church had not been made.  Makena woke up from her nap first and walked into the hallway which was lined with about four large boxes.  She didn't pay any attention to them.  Karis noticed the boxes immediately and came to me to ask me what I was doing.  I sat her down and told her we were moving to a new house in Texas.  She had lots of questions about what was going in the boxes and what we were leaving in the house.  She asked, excitedly,  if we were going to live in the hotel.  

As time went on, we had more conversations with the girls (mainly Karis) about our move and what that meant.  We highlighted the new and exciting things that a move would bring.  I know Karis didn't fully understand what was about to happen, but in her typical optimistic self, she was nothing but excited.  That helped me out a lot emotionally as we prepared to move.

Karis is familiar with the story of Jonah.  One day, Karis asked Daddy why we were going to Texas.  He explained to her that God was calling our family to Texas the way he called Jonah to Ninevah.  Karis understood the importance of obeying God when he calls (otherwise inside a big fish you go).  She looked at Derek real seriously and asked, "Are we going after naps?"  She didn't want to waste any time!

The week before we left, there were a lot of good-byes to be said.  On my last day of work, Linda came over to watch the kids. I told Karis that this was the last time she was going to see her for a long time.  Karis looked sad and I think for the first time she realized that not everything about the move was going to be fun.  

Ready to be a Texan.  Hook 'em horns!

No comments: