Thursday, December 13

Getting Ready for Christmas

The girls love to decorate the tree. Unfortunately, they also like to take the ornaments off and play with them. Because of that, we (re)decorate the tree almost every day.

  


Karis remembered decorating a gingerbread house last year and asked early on to do it again this year. I bought a set that had five mini houses. Derek was gone for a few days at a staff retreat, so I thought decorating the gingerbread houses would be a good way to spend the time before dinner. Everything was going great until I stepped away to put the laundry in the dryer. A little squabble ensued and Makena put her hand on Karis' plate. Her gingerbread house hit the floor.  Boy, were there tears! So much for the happy Christmas scene at our house.  

We tried again a couple days later with the remainder of the houses. Karis moved to a different table and happily worked on hers by herself. I spent time helping Makena, trying to get her not to eat all the candy (Makena's house is always shiny because she licks the candy that is stuck on the house). We ended up with some great looking houses!

 
The house that never got finished.
Makena's houses
One of Karis' houses

No comments: