We were supposed to have Karis' birthday party for her today. I had been planning it for a couple of months, trying to get it done early so I would have more time to prepare for Christmas (a learning from the past couple of years). The weekend finally came and everything was ready. On Thursday night we had freezing temperatures and it rained all night long. Our entire city (and beyond) was covered in a sheet of ice and we have been trapped at home since Friday.
Late last night, I reluctantly emailed the moms of her friends to tell them the party was cancelled. Karis was sad, but we asked all her friends to join us after school on Tuesday for cake and goodie bags.
We decided her fairy party must go on despite the ice! The girls got dressed in their fairy outfits and we did all the birthday activities that was planned.
We played freeze dance with some ribbon rings.

We painted nails, put on body glitter and tattoos.

We then went downstairs and collected butterflies in pixie dust bags.


I was so sad for Karis that she couldn't have her party. She had been talking about her birthday ever since she turned four -- and even more so the last month or so. We planned together the activities, designed the cake together and carefully chose who we would invite. When we were putting on tattoos, Karis looked up at me and said, "This is a fun birthday party." It made me so, so happy that she was enjoying it, even if it was at home with just her best friend, Makena. She was a little high-maintenance during the planning but when it came down to it, she enjoyed just a simple celebration.
We'll celebrate some more on her actual birthday. I can't believe she will be five!
No comments:
Post a Comment