That's been my question lately. Is this normal?
Before Karis was born, I read a book on naps and feedings. It talked about how to get your baby on a schedule. Karis was born and after a few weeks, she fell into a schedule. I didn't really have to try. She was like clockwork. It was great for us first-time parents, because it eliminated a lot of guesswork. We knew exactly when she'd be hungry, when she'd start getting tired, and what time she would wake up from her naps.
I remember my sister kept telling me over and over again, "Karis is NOT normal." She couldn't believe how Karis' days were so scheduled and predictable. I didn't pay much attention to my sister's words. After all, Karis merely did what the book said, so all babies must be like that... or so I thought. I didn't realize until Makena was born that Karis was NOT normal. I could not get Makena to follow a schedule and I tried so hard! My sister was right. Karis was not normal.
So lately, I'll notice something that Karis does and wonder if it's "normal." I know she is normal, but there are certain things I wonder if they are common among other children.
Here are a few examples:
1. She LOVES vegetables. Every kind, except tomatoes. She would have no problems being a vegetarian.
2. She's adventurous and loves to climb on furniture and all over the playground, yet she has never tried to climb out of her crib by herself. In fact, I've seen her try to climb into her crib more often than out of her crib.
3. She doesn't like to wear socks and shoes. We have hardwood floors and sometimes her feet feel like popsicles, but she refuses to wear socks or slippers. When she gets in the car or to our destination, she immediately tears off her socks and/or shoes.
4. She knows how to use our iPod. She can get to YouTube to watch videos (we have a list of favorites for her), find her games, look for videos we've taken and watch them, etc. If she ever gets to a screen and doesn't know what to do, she just hits the main button to get to the main page and then navigates to where she wants to go.
5. She can be quite organized and methodical when she plays. She lines up her little people or places each of them on their own little box or upside bowl.
No comments:
Post a Comment