Saturday, June 27

Overnight Getaway

Daddy had some time off from work for his birthday and our anniversary, so we spent a night away in Glen Rose. We came to this same hotel last summer. It's a great place to spend the night in a hotel room and swim in the pool. It's also just an hour and a half away. 

We arrived around noon on Thursday. The girls went with Daddy to unload the car so they could take a ride on the luggage cart. Kyle and I watched from the hotel room.


We had a quick lunch in the hotel room and then swam for only a couple hours. I think the anticipation of the trip wore them out. For the past two days, the girls had been packing for the trip, stuffing their backpacks with everything they would need -- things like flash cards, baby dolls they never play with, and old photos. They kept saying, "I wish we could go to the hotel today! and Kyle would say, "I want to go to show and tell!"

Since the kids were tired that afternoon, we had a little "rest" time before going out to dinner. This is how that went:

The next morning, we enjoyed breakfast at the hotel -- the highlight always being the pancake machine. We had some time to kill before the pool opened so Daddy taught the girls how to play horseshoe while Kyle and I collected rocks. 




We spent the rest of Daddy's birthday in the pool. We were the only ones at the pool the entire time. We were there for almost 5 hours! Mommy's shoulders were burned and Makena's face was getting pretty red so we called it a day around 3 pm. 



Karis practiced swimming and got much better and more confident. When we got in the pool the first day, Kyle was too scared to get off the steps. But after two days, he walked off the steps by himself and floated on his own. He kept his mouth closed (see photo!). When he was floating, he would announce, "I'm swimming! I'm swimming!" and then Makena would mumble, "Why is he saying he's swimming? He's just floating!" It's a start!

 



No comments: