Friday, June 12

Summer is Here!

Our first week of summer was off to a slow start. On Monday morning, we had to stay home to wait for a garage door repairman to come to the house. The kids were quite bored and cranky. I could tell they were tired so even after the repairman left we stayed home the rest of the day. Kyle took a three hour nap and the girls both fell asleep on their own at some point in the afternoon. All last week, all three kids were waking up at 6:45 am so they had some catching up to do on their sleep!  They played together much better after naps. 


The following days were full days! On Tuesday morning, we picked up one of Makena's friends and took her to the splash pad with us. We met up with one of Makena's friends who moved to Iowa. It was a hot day but the kids played for about three hours. Afterwards, we ran an errand (took three girls to a shoe store -- yikes!), got some frosties to cool off, and then headed home to play until Makena's friend got picked up. 


On Wednesday, Makena wanted to go to The Tubes (a church's indoor play structure), so we packed a lunch and headed over there. The kids played hard and we spent about another three hours there. They didn't want to leave! 


The girls don't believe me when I tell them they are way too big for the baby swings.


After The Tubes, we picked up Karis' friend to take her with us to the library for craft time. When we got to our friend's house, Makena decided she wanted to stay there instead, so we left her there. Kyle and I checked out books while Karis and her friend made super hero capes. 


On Thursday morning, we went to the library for story time. Afterwards, I took the kids to Walmart to buy some needed items. In a moment of weakness, I went down the candy aisle and picked out some candy. We went to deliver some candy to Daddy at the office (just an excuse to see him). At church, we met some friends and ended up playing with them for awhile. They were headed to the movie theater to watch Cinderella, so we tagged along. Makena hadn't been to a theater in a long time and it was Kyle's first time. The little guy was tired and not very interested in the movie, but he couldn't get comfortable enough to take a nap. He was pretty fidgety at certain points, but we got up and walked around the back for awhile. Towards the end, I had to break open the bag of M&Ms we bought at Walmart. That kept him quiet for the last stretch and we were all able to enjoy the movie. The kids had so much candy that day --- I may have heard one of my daughters tell me, "You're the best mommy ever!" during her sugar high. 


After a busy week, we stayed home on Friday. I needed to do some things around the house and I knew Kyle was due for another nap. After dinner, we got ice cream and ate it at the dog park so Ryder could get some exercise. Then it was family movie night!

I know every week of summer won't be like this (full of fun things to do and the kids aren't bored at home fighting), but I'm thankful for this great start!

No comments: