Welcome Kyle Joseph to our family!
![]() |
| Immediately after birth; beautiful even with the gunk |
Lena's
due date was May 21. But since she again had gestational diabetes, the
doctor had selected May 15th to induce. Lena mentioned wanting to
experience a more natural (ie: non-induced) delivery because the doctor
had previously induced both Karis (non-responsive to her in-office
stress tests) and Makena (gestation diabetes). As such, we avoided the
stressful, water-breaking, "hurry to the hospital" experience that you
see in the movies. =)
Lena
got her wish. Her water broke on Mother's Day right as she finished
making dinner. We took off to the hospital after arranging unexpected
care for Karis and Makena. Since her body wasn't moving forward in the
process, they gave her Pitocin at 11:00 PM to get the contractions
going. Just like what happened with Makena, Lena's dilation jumped from 7
cm to 10 cm in one hour and you could see the baby waiting to be
delivered. At 4:17 AM Monday, May 14, Kyle was born on the first push!
He weighed 8 pounds exactly and was 20.3 inches long.
I
(Derek) almost passed out... not during delivery however. While Lena
was receiving her epidural, I sat in front of her and let her squeeze my
hand. However, I started feeling warm and light-headed. I had to go
sit down in the corner of the room and encourage her from the floor.
When
Kyle arrived, he had the cord wrapped around his neck. Karis did, too.
That is why she wasn't reacting at the doctor's office during the
stress testing. So when the doctor advised Lena to slow down to undo
the umbilical cord, I went on instant alert. When the doctor unwrapped
the umbilical cord the SECOND time, I breathed a big sigh of relief.
The
girls have been a bit cranky. We've been trying to give them as much
attention as possible, but it is noticeable that they are missing love
from us as we (Lena) has to feed Kyle. We'll keep trying. Glad "Nana"
will be visiting next week to add in an extra dose of love to the girls.
Here is a quick video of the sweet guy.....

No comments:
Post a Comment