Saturday, December 13

What Dirty Diaper-changing Daddy is learning (not ALL about diapers)

All newborns have a God-given reflex for protection called the Moro Reflex. When they are startled (noise, tilt angle, etc.), their arms quickly reach out to grab something. It scared me at first, but now I think it's further proof of how God loves us and wants to protect us. She has not yet fallen, but instinctively Karis knows what to do to protect herself. It's cool. She has startled me quite often while I've been simply holding her. More than once the reflex has kicked in sending a baby fist in the direction of my face. =) Two things I've learned: 1. Keep her swaddled. 2. Admire her from a distance of greater than 4 inches.

If we don't wrap her tightly while she is resting, I've found that she'll sleep with her arms up and not touching her body. More specifically, in a karate position ready to strike. Hilarious... and even more so when her hands are covered with cute little mittens. What could she possible hurt?

What am I surprised with so far?

I'm surprised she doesn't spit up more. This morning was the first I've witnessed it. Maybe she'll grow into it. What I have noticed is that she seems to regurgitate instead of letting it flow out of her mouth, she struggles to keep up with swallowing it. Parents, have you also witnessed this? Doctors, is this normal?

I'm surprised by myself. I'm really a go-getter when it comes to changing diapers. I had never changed a diaper prior to Karis. I had tried with my nephew and niece (not you Cooper and Kelsey... thankfully your parents didn't leave me alone long enough with you when I visited) on several occasions. My persuasive argument with the kiddos to behave extremely well, to better prepare me for my own some day, did not work. All the fuss frightened me away. With Karis, however, I'm pushing Lena aside and asking to change the diaper. Guilt over her delivery pain? I dunno. Probably more of the guardian in me wanting to ensure Karis is well cared for.

God is using this baby experience to mellow me out. I can tell that already. Within 3 hours of being home from the hospital, Karis had a large amount poopy and it somehow decided to come up and out the front of her diaper. That stinks (pun intended) on three levels. One, what a mess. Two, poopy mixing with female anatomy. Three, poopy in belly button. I could have freaked out easily. I think I stayed rather calm. We handled it well as a team. I could have been better. But I surprised myself with my take charge attitude. I thought I'd be more indecisive not knowing what to do. I knew we are not encouraged to use alcohol wipes on umbilical cord. I knew we were supposed to keep it clean. (What could be worse than a bunch of poopy on it?!?) And I knew we weren't supposed to get it wet. Alcohol wipes are okay to clean... but natural drying out is best. Dry Q-tips worked well, too. I did call the doctor to ask for direction by the way.

Other than that, it's been pretty mellow so far. Karis is sleeping next to me now. She's a farter... lots of gas just like her paternal side of the family. =)

I'll be posting some videos soon. Took a bunch... just need to review and maybe edit them first.

Keep coming back for more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derek, it's so fun to hear your experience as we can relate so closely with Belle only being 7 weeks older than Karis! We still crack up about the reflex thing...it's too funny! I call Casey the baby hog...he always wants her and sounds like you're doing the same thing :-) Let Lena have her every once in a while! xoxo, cousin kim

Erin said...

Good job Derek - frankly, I am not surprised by your detailed analysis and look forward to more:).