Wednesday, April 10

I Am Not Super Mom

The other day, I woke up so many times during the night for the kids (yes, for more than just the boy) that by morning, I was a wreck. Thankfully, Derek offered to take the girls to work with him so they could play in the indoor church playground while Kyle and I took a morning nap. When they got back, I was still tired but I was at least functional. After lunch, I wanted to go to Walmart  to return a couple things and buy a few things. It was nearing nap time and the girls had no desire to get back in the car. I bribed them with a lollipop as I usually do, and they happily escorted me to the store. 

I pushed my cart full of babies around the store and after checking out, we stopped by Customer Service for my returns. Behind me in line was an elderly lady and Makena got her attention by telling her she had a lollipop. They exchanged a few words about her wonderful lollipop and then the lady told me that I should have the word "Super Mom" across the back of my t-shirt. I laughed and thought, well having three kids in 3 1/2 years surely isn't qualification for being called a Super Mom. If she only knew what goes on at home.... 

This past week, the girls have challenged my patience and mothering skills like never before. I had to deal with the usual whining, tattle-telling and sharing issues, but on top of that, there's been pushing, lying, talking back, selfishness, blatant disobedience, unkind words, and plenty of attitude. Enough to make a mama go crazy! If I had kept my cool and handled each incident with grace, perhaps I would believe I was Super Mom. But, I failed miserably at every turn and I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with these issues as they arise. Who knows if I'm doing any of it right.

If anything, I think all moms are Super Moms -- no matter how many kids they have or how old they are. I know firsthand what we mamas do day in and day out. We all fail miserably at times, but we're trying our best for the love of our children. By God's grace, my children will grow up to be well-behaved, God-fearing people with joy in their hearts. I just have to trust that His grace will cover over my daily failures and continually pray for forgiveness, strength and wisdom. And hopefully one day the Lord will tell me, "Well done my good and faithful servant. You have done well with the children I entrusted you with." 



No comments: