Thursday, September 27

Young Travelers



We just returned from spending five days in Texas visiting with friends.  I have to say that our young travelers did really well (more on them later).  We travelled with two large suitcases, two car seats, one car seat base, a large stroller, a heavy backpack, a diaper bag and a carry-on bag.  Poor Derek.  He envied the business man on the shuttle bus who just stayed cool with his little briefcase in hand.


Since we booked our plane tickets through Expedia, we didn’t have assigned seats.  We were disappointed when we checked in and found out that we couldn’t get seats together.  Derek sat with Makena and I sat with Kyle and Karis.  They both did well on the three hour flight.  They stayed busy with a couple of electronic toys, a coloring book, stickers and some snacks.


It was a blessing in disguise that we sat separately on our flight out. When we arrived in Dallas/Ft. Worth, it took awhile to get the rental car and for Derek to install all the car seats.  Since the girls sat separately, they had different stuff on the plane.  They got to switch stuff while waiting for the car and that kept them happy and busy, despite the travelling and dinner hour.  Phew!


Karis loved staying in a hotel. It was great staying in a hotel that had a suite and free breakfast in the morning.  Getting the girls to nap and go to bed were the toughest part.  That, along with the time change, resulted in not sleeping well/enough and both of them getting sick.  We're all fighting mild colds.  

pillow fight!
 

Kyle was by far the best traveler.  He just went with the flow and napped on the go.  He only cried twice during the whole trip.  Those were times when he was hungry and I couldn’t feed him on time.  One time he even had to wait two hours past his feeding time! 

Karis said the best part of the trip was the airplane ride.  On the way to Texas , we sat next to a really nice lady who gave Karis her window seat during the take-off and landing so she could see out the window.  On the way back, she slept almost the entire time (we had a three hour delay so it was bedtime by the time we finally took off).  She woke up while we were descending. She was sad the flight was seemingly so short.  I told her it was short because she slept the whole time.  She didn't believe me.  

We learned that Makena is a homebody. She kept asking to go home. I think that was mainly because we told her we left her pacifier at home and she was really missing it.  Towards the end of the trip she kept asking to watch Peppa Pig and she even asked to go to the store (something the kids and I do regularly).  I guess she was missing her daily routine. 


I thought the trip overall went pretty well.  Perhaps because our last trip on an airplane was so tough.  Maybe next time will be even easier!  =)

No comments: