Saturday, June 19

Unexpected misfortune

If I don't post something now, I don't know when I will. And how tough it is to post after Lena's eloquent love letter to Karis at 18 months!

Lena's birthday was Thursday so I left work after lunch to help with the girls while she finished up some consulting work she was doing. Her sister Julie and family came down and were a big help taking Karis to the pool with them. I looked after Makena and we both caught some zzz's.

Friday Lena called me just before lunch. I figure she's checking in on me to see how I'm doing watching both girls. But she tells me that she is lying on the floor of her office unable to move and wants to know if she should call ambulance. I say "YES!"

Apparently she was having some pain in her back while standing, when back to her desk, needed assistance to sit down, then asked co-workers to lay her on the ground where she remained unable to move. They checked her out and released her with some pain medication and advice to rest. So I'm it for child care this weekend. Typically, one Friday workday a week is MORE than enough for me, so this is quite an opportunity.

So far, so good. Lots of friends, family, and c0-workers making themselves available to help. And I'm not turning it down (well, a few offers I had to decline because we already received help). We are very blessed to have such good friends, family, and c0-workers.

My takeaways:
  • holy crud I could not be a full-time stay at home dad. At least with the kids this age. Again, deeper appreciation for Lena's ability to do this and for how God created women to better handle children.
  • I am a very impatient person. Most people you ask would say that I'm very patient. But when it comes to crying children disobeying and unable to communicate, my patience drawer seems to start the day empty with nowhere to go.
  • Karis is cute and a challenge at the same time. So many times I am conflicted on how to react to her. Adore her.
  • Makena is beginning to show her personality. Smiles. Coos. Even some nonsense chatter. I remember bonding more with Karis once she hit this stage. Last night was my first time caring for and feeding Makena overnight. The bed in her room is quite comfy. And, I think I prefer nighttime care over evening time. I struggle when both girls need food, get messy, and scream out loud. Nighttime is more peaceful as Karis sleeps throughout the night and I can focus on Makena. If you're reading between the lines, I CANNOT MULTITASK with kiddos. Two mores nights of this and Mack and I should be bonded pretty tight.
  • Lena, darling, please get healthy soon. And feel free in the future to say, "Ew, my back is starting to hurt. Do you mind....?" I'm sure I'll be quite compliant. You're a star honey. Thanks for all you do for our family.

1 comment:

tracyallegre said...

Good luck Derek. I hope Lena makes a speedy recovery!