Friday, August 7

Lessons From The Toilet

The other day our toilet handle lever inside the tank broke in the guest bathroom. Derek spoke with our landlord and found out that it would cost our landlord $200 to get a plumber out to our place. That sounded ridiculous, so Derek graciously offered to fix the toilet himself.
He went to Lowe's with the baby and bought the necessary components. He came home and fixed it in no time! Later that day I went to use the bathroom.

"What a funny looking handle." I said to Derek who was in the family room. It definitely wasn't the handle that I would have picked out. It was a bit bulky and had an odd shape.

"What?" he replied.

Hmm, he must not have heard me, I thought. "What a funny looking handle" I repeated.

"What?" he said again.

I paused, laughed and then said, "Thanks, babe for fixing the toilet."

"You're welcome."

I smiled and then continued to take care of my business in the bathroom. I definitely need to remember to show my appreciation and/or start out with the positive before jumping into criticism. Thankfully, I have a funny, light-hearted husband who is willing to gently remind me of this.

No comments: