It’s been fun watching Karis grow and getting to know this little person God has entrusted us with. I spend countless hours just watching her, staring at her while she’s sleeping, and dreaming of what she might be like when she grows up. Here is an idea of what she is like now and what I'm enjoying the most:
Can’t get enough of:
- Her sleeping on my shoulder after she’s eaten in the middle of the night. That’s when I get most of my hugs and kisses from her. She’s so cuddly and soft – I can’t get enough!
- She gives away a lot of smiles, but the best one is the first one I receive when I get home after working a 10 hour day
- Watching her lock eyes on a mobile (a new skill for her at this age)
- Watching Derek talk and interact with her.
- Watching her kick her legs to get all the gas and poop out of her (okay, maybe only a mother can find the cuteness in this!)
Take it or leave it:
- She hates being constrained – whether it’s being swaddled or in a car seat. Most newborns enjoy being tightly wrapped in a blanket or being all snug, giving them the sense that they're safe in the womb. Not our little girl. She’ll fight tooth and nail to get out.
- She is packing on the weight! At 2 monts old, she is in the 75% percentile for height and 90% percentile for weight. Her cheeks and thighs are growing fast!
This too shall pass:
- She fights taking naps. She’s so curious about her surroundings and probably feels like the whole world will pass her by if she shuts her eyes. When she finally does, we’re lucky if her naps last 45-60 minutes. Most of the time she’ll take quick 10-20 minute cat naps.
- She started skipping 1 or 2 feedings at night and I thought we had turned a corner.. unfortunately that only lasted 4 days and we’re back to waking up every three hours for feedings.
- She can’t seem to keep her milk down. We can often hear it coming back up, sometimes up to 3 hours after her last feeding. It sounds like she’s drowning. We have to keep her upright for at least 10 minutes after she eats. It’s not a big deal during the day, but it’s a little harder when I’m half asleep at 1 am and at 4 am.
- She seems to have a very sensitive stomach and therefore I am very limited as to what I can eat. I can’t wait until her digestive system matures and I can eat dairy and citrus foods again.
I've been warned countless times about how fast kids grow up. I'm trying to enjoy each day and appreciate the stage that Karis is in now -- sleepless nights and all!
Lena
No comments:
Post a Comment