I ran across a reminder note to post a blog about a conversation I had back in mid-January. It was meaningful... unique enough to post... but it was lost in the fatherhood adjustment and general busyness of life. I suppose like many other "I should have posted" posts. But I wrote a note on this one... that's the only reason I am remembering to write about it.
That being said, it has been a little while and the details have become a bit fuzzy. Anyhow, I have been trying to keep in touch with the guys I built into for their two years of Junior High. They're now Freshman in High School. I had an opportunity to watch one of the guys run some quarterback drills with the starting Senior from his school. That story in itself is pretty cool... this Senior kid, on his own, has decided invest into this Freshman. The Senior has several football scholarship offers from which to choose (good schools with good programs, too). This Freshman guy has a lot of athletic talent. But he is also a very gifted leader. It was a blessing to spend two years with him.
While sitting on the side of the field this particular hot, Sunday afternoon I decided to sit with this guy's little brother... I think he's 9. I had seen him on occasion when big brother was getting dropped off during those two years, but never spent time with him. He didn't readily remember me. He was playing a handheld video game (something I used to greatly enjoy). He was good at including me by explaining what he was doing and how hard it was and the strategies involved. Out of the blue he asks, "Are you a Christian?" It caught me off guard. I responded "Yes" to which he said, "Good. So am I." Then he immediately began working his magic on the handheld game.
I am amazed by his... innocence I guess. He had no inhibitions at asking. I thought it was incredible. In retrospect, I wish I would have asked him what it meant to him to be a "Christian." Back to my amazement, I wish I was more bold as he is. I have been burned in the past by a friend (I was severely chewed out by simply inviting him to church; yes, too bad for him but it still left a bad taste in my mouth). He won't know what an encouragement he was to me, but I hope to keep that experience in my mind to prompt me to be a little braver in my conversations with people whose beliefs I do not know.
No comments:
Post a Comment