Monday, January 12

Feelings of complete and utter ineptitude

Those are exactly the feeling I was having today at 1:32 PM. Lena mentioned yesterday (and I quote her), "I'm going to the mall tomorrow with or without you." What I heard was, "...whether you like it or not." She kept her word. She left today with or without me. But the latter was much more accurate.

This may have been the first time Karis and I were alone. Armed with two 2-ounce bottles of milk and a failed practice run with a bottle earlier in the week (Karis looked at me as if to say, "Daddy, why are you trying to feed me... and with this fake thing?"), I thought I was ready for the opportunity to feed her. She was asleep in the bedroom when mom left. I heard her moan and then some quick cries... and it wasn't long until she was showing off her lungs.

The time it took for me to warm up the bottle felt like an eternity. She continued screaming at the top of her lungs until the bottle hit her lips. Oh, to be a parent hearing your child cry and being unable to help is not a good feeling.

I hope that it gets easier and quicker each time.

Shaken, but okay... Derek

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a warning: Marzano swears that babies have mommy radar. I try to leave the house at the best time possible (at naptime, after a huge feeding, etc.) but inevitably Marzano claims baby will start screaming 10-15 minutes after I have left and stop about 20 minutes before I come home -- no matter how long I've been gone. You've been forewarned!

Erin said...

Dude - same thing happened to me. To defrost the milk and get it at room temp... holy cow eternity. Same for me today, Joy had to leave to prep for a GLAD training she is doing. I was home trying to 'work' - yeah right. From experience, I took out a pouch of frozen milk and set it out in a bowl of water so that 2 hrs from then - it would good! Sure enough it was perfect. You'll get there bro!