Tuesday, October 28

Home Stretch

I can’t believe we’re already in the home stretch -- 7 weeks to go! We’re still preparing for baby’s arrival. There are quite a few things that still need to be done, including setting up the baby’s room, selecting a physician, GIVING HER A NAME, etc. We also have yet to start our baby prep classes. We’ll be spending almost every Saturday in the month of November at the hospital learning about baby basics, breastfeeding, Lamaze, etc.

I’m excited to have our baby with us, but have to admit it’s still a little scary to think we’ll be parents and our lives are going to drastically change. I guess what makes it scary is that we don’t know what to expect!

Derek’s cousin had her baby the other day. It was a little thing, just 5 lbs. 10 oz. When I saw the pictures of the baby, I thought to myself, “Wow, that’s what’s inside me!” (this pregnancy thing is still a bit surreal). I think about our God, the amazing Creator. He has fearfully and wonderfully made this little baby and he has allowed me to carry her in my sinful and broken body. I am so humbled by that.

I get a little more uncomfortable each day and good sleep seems to be quickly escaping me. The baby’s jabs are getting stronger and my breathing gets more difficult. I get really warm while sleeping and the leg cramps are severe enough where I have to get out of bed to walk it off to relieve the pain. Not fun at 2 am!

As excited as I am for our baby’s arrival, I can’t help but to think of the things I’ll be able to regain or do once she is born. As I was tossing and turning one night, taking the usual one hour to fall asleep, I listed in my head the top things I want to do once the baby is born.

  • Eat sushi. Lots of sushi.
  • Sleep on my back…and without a pillow
  • Lie on my stomach to read, write, watch TV, etc.
  • Hug my husband without my belly getting squished
  • Be able to close the kitchen window
  • Put on my shoes without getting out of breath
  • Be done with my daily prenatal horse pill vitamins
  • Be able to carry things in front of me
  • Wear a fitted shirt (though it may take awhile for me to get back to those!)
  • Go on a motorcycle ride with Derek

At 33 weeks, the baby weighs a little over 4 pounds and has passed the 17-inch mark. She's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and her skeleton is hardening.

1 comment:

juls1974 said...

oh, I remember those leg cramps! I still get nervous stretching in the morning (PTSD?)...