At 2:30 pm, I received a call from the school. Makena was in the nurse's office with a staple through her finger. They didn't want to remove the staple themselves, so they wanted me to come in to do it. I rushed to school where my brave girl was holding it together until I showed up. Then the tears started flowing. She got herself pretty good with a stapler. She opened the stapler in class to see if there was any more staples in it, and then shut it with her finger in the wrong spot.
I pulled the staple out but Makena was still in a lot of pain. They got Karis out of class and we headed to the doctor's office to see if there was anything we could do to relieve the pain or prevent an infection. The wait was along and in that time, Makena finally calmed down so we headed home without seeing the doctor.
Makena was much better once we soaked her finger in ice water. Word got out as to what happened and friends were checking in to see how she was doing. In addition, Ms. Sara and her kids came by with drinks from Sonic for all of us. Ms. Carlton came by wit a boo boo bear to cheer Makena up.
Even her classmates were worried about her and made her pictures. I received this picture from her friend's mom that evening. This was one of the two pictures she received.

Makena made a quick recovery only to be down for three days later that week with an
upper respiratory infection. A few in her class were out with the Flu-B. We were certain that's what she had, but she tested negative. We were thankful she wasn't contagious but the poor girl was pretty sick.

No comments:
Post a Comment