While that title could be referring to the high temperature as of late, it is not. The first month and a half has passed quickly here in Texas.
Karis has adjusted quite well to the new kids and teachers at her new pre-school. I think she also likes that it is at daddy's office so on occasion we have driven together with just the two of us (compared to mommy hauling all the kids to drop off one).
I have to admit that I underestimated the effort required to get the everyday life things squared away (auto insurance, inspection, and registration; utilities; finding doctor; pharmacy; barber; good motorcycle mechanic; etc.). In a misunderstanding with our landlord (changing name versus removing name), we lost electricity for a couple of hours during a cold spell while I was at a retreat. And then we went without gas appliances for 3 and a half days (namely furnace) because of the same. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
January has been a month of sickness. First Karis with a 12-hr vomiting. Then Kyle had diarrhea and vomiting over a week's time. I had an upper respiratory infection coincident with Kyle's sickness. Then Lena was under the weather for about a week. Now I'm fighting the chills, weakness, and sinus infection. And Karis has the croup. Makena has been the only one to stay healthy.
Otherwise, Texas has been great. I forgot how much time it takes to build new friendships. Glad that I have a couple of former co-workers on the church staff as well as a few good friends relatively close (30 minutes and another 2.5 hours). Then I have a niece and others about 4.5 hours away.
This is Derek writing if you didn't notice the lack of photos to complement the text.
No comments:
Post a Comment