I've been so bad about posting about our third baby. I haven't even put down how we found out the gender. I guess it's just a sign of what's to come and how this little child's life will be a bit different than the two girls'.
It's a boy!
I had an appointment when the baby was 17 weeks along (I'm now 27 weeks! Yes, that's how long it's been). At that appointment, I met with the Dr. for the first time (and not one of the nurse practitioners). I was told that the Dr. typically does a sonogram if there is a machine in the room. Anxious to discover the gender of the baby, I was hoping he would be able to see if we were having a boy or girl. You typically find out at 20-weeks but the gender can be determined as early as 17-weeks.
At the doctor's office, I was escorted to a room with a sonogram machine. Yes! I was very hopeful. The first thing the doctor did was listen for the heartbeat. He said it sounded good. And then he said, "Sounds like a boy." I immediately responded, "Don't just say be saying that, especially if it's not definite." I didn't want him to give me false hope.
He decided to take a look at the baby and got on the sonogram machine. He started at the head and worked his way down (see photos from bottom up). He then saw what looked like signs of a boy (3rd picture from the top). He looked around to make sure he wasn't mistaking it for the umbilical cord. He couldn't see a good full view, but he said he was pretty sure it was a boy -- 98% sure. At the last minute, he got a good view and said it's definitely a boy (1st picture). He labeled the picture and then congratulated me for my "early Christmas gift" as I tried to hold back my tears of joy.
In my heart, I knew we were having a boy. In the weeks prior, I felt like God was growing my heart to really want what he had for us. He placed some things on my heart during a church service. Through a random conversation I had with someone who drew my blood at a lab, my desires continued to grow. He even used a t.v. show to show what a relationship with a son might be like. But even with all that, I can't say I was 100% sure.
I was sad that Derek wasn't there when the doctor told me. When I got home I walked him through the sonogram and explained each photo. When he got to the last one and read the labels he said, "Does that say what I think it says?" "Yep," I said. He was quiet. Karis called him from upstairs. He got up, muttered something about having to get new baby clothes, and then walked away. Huh? That's his reaction?? I talked to him later and he explained he was just in shock because he was convinced we were having another girl. We are now both excited to have a little boy and can't wait to meet him! Now if we can only decide on a name...


1 comment:
congratulations! That's fantastic and I'm happy for you!!
Post a Comment