Wednesday, September 21

Makena, As You Turn 18 Months Old

Makena, you are 18 months old!  I don't know how you became a big girl so fast!  
Shortly after you were born, I began praying that because of your faith, your prayers would move mountains.  I continue to do so today.  To my surprise, one of your first words was "Amen!"  Now, every day at every meal you put your hands together to remind Daddy or me to pray.  I don't know how you remember, but you want to pray at EVERY meal, EVERY day.  And as much as you love to eat, you sit there with your hands together until the prayer is over.  But, if prayers are too long for you, you aren't afraid to call out, "Amen!" to declare that it's time to eat.  
You are definitely the happiest when you are eating (you are in the 75th percentile for weight).  You are a great sleeper.  You rarely wake up in the middle of the night and you love to take naps.  You have gotten way more attached to your pacifiers in the last month or so.  Instead of just sleeping with them, you now like to have them while at home.   When you wake up, you are always content hanging out in your crib with your pacifiers and bunny blanket.   
When you're awake... well it's a different story.   You are loud and strong-willed.  You know what you want and you aren't afraid to express it.  To be honest, it can be frustrating, but I know it's going to develop into a beautiful thing when you are older.  I don't really blame you for getting so upset when you need something, don't get what you want or get something taken away from you.  Having a sister only 15 months older hasn't been the easiest thing.  Plus, I think Daddy and I expect a little too much from you for your age.  You definitely hear the word, "no" from all three of us a lot.  It must be frustrating and thus the reason you can be so vocal and adamant about things.   

It's obvious that you think you are a 2 year old.  You want to do and have everything Karis does.  You copy everything she does from falling down to reading books to grabbing things and saying, "Mine."  I let you get away with too much, just to have a few free minutes.  One example is markers.  I let you play with them because it keeps you occupied, but then you write on inappropriate things, like your belly...
You are doing well with speaking words.  Though each word you say isn't clear, you are definitely building up a good vocabulary.  I'm always amazed at how much you can understand as well.  

I love to hear you giggle.  You are quite ticklish.  You love to push the baby stroller around.  It's fun to see you play with dolls because Karis never did.  
You love buckles.  Thanks to you, every buckle in our house is always buckled at all times.  
Makena, I am so in love with you.  No matter what you do or how loud you are, I can't stop hugging and kissing you (I've been meaning to look up what the long-term effects are of constant  smothering on a child).  I'm trying to enjoy every day with you because I know the days will fly by.  Mommy and Daddy love you so much!

No comments: