Friday, June 17

some things Derek has noticed about Karis

Karis has a pretty solid memory. She really likes frozen yogurt sticks (or "co yo" as she says it). She asks for it several times a day. Sometimes she even asks before breakfast. I do my best to stall her until after her lunch or afternoon nap. This past Wednesday I was watching both girls while Lena worked. I started replying to Karis' early morning inquiries for "co yo" by stating, "You can have cold yogurt after your nap." She took a pretty long nap. While she typically awakes quickly and is standing up in her crib jumping, this day she slowly tossed around within the crib. As I entered her room she didn't pop up but rather rubbed her eyes, put on a gentle smiled and whispered "co yo?"

She is stretching her independent muscles. Most of the time it is in defiance of her mother or me. But, also on Wednesday, she stretched that muscle to make my life easier. She shouted her regular "pee pee!" command so I started to follow her upstairs to her bathroom to be available to help with the post-pee cleanup. But as she is running down the hallways towards the bathroom door she points at me and yells "downstairs Daddy... sissy!" Bless her heart. She wanted me to stay downstairs with Makena so I could feed her sister. I'll take that independence regularly.

Karis has a sense of humor. She loves blowing bubbles... not only the bubbles in jar with the wand bubbles but also bubbles in her milk, juice or water glass. She was running low on milk and was blowing bubbles in it. She agreed that she wanted more milk. I told her she needed to stop blowing bubbles if she wanted more. She stopped and I took her cup for a refill. Upon my return, I changed my tune realizing that she's just a kid and blowing bubbles is fun (see, I'm learning). I say to her, "Karis, blow bubbles." She replies with furrowed brow and deeper voice, "Daddy NO bubbles!" Then she smiled big and said, "Bubbles!" And then she blew lots of big bubbles.

No comments: