Friday, November 21

Reasons to be thankful

So I added this status to Facebook recently, but figured I'd add it to a blog so that it'd perhaps be easier to look back on later.

"Derek is envious at how his wife always (yes ALWAYS) gets awesome discounts... and, tonight, a free meal for 4. But I'm even more thankful. =)."

Just to add another example of how God is looking after us financially through my wife... oh heck, I'll give you two examples. Tonight, Lena acquired us a Queen size bed for us for free... the one we currently sleep on was given to us and we've now seen the end of its usefulness.

And, we've been looking for a TV stand as we have to get rid of our entertainment center. Lena's had it for 7+ yrs (doesn't include the years it was owned by a previous roommate). The weight of the TV is bending the wood and we don't want it to break and harm a young child. We have been eyeing a stand at Ikea and she saw an ad that if we buy it this weekend, we get a $50 gift card. Not bad. But then she spotted an ad on Craigslist for new in the box for just under 1/2 off. We bought it tonight and I saved us another $10 with my strong negotiation tactics (if you don't know me, that's a joke. I was like, "um, would you possibly consider taking $160?").

While I'm at this... I have other examples... many.... During my unpaid (financial supporters) internship, we got married. We received an immensely discounted cake from Ritz Carlton, discounted videographer as she was just getting started, discounted photography from a friend of a friend, along with other big savings throughout. AMAZING!

Found a 10 yr newer motorcycle with 20,000 less miles for only $1,000 more. Steal of a deal!

Recently, I saved over $50 on a new motorcycle helmet. The other was past its safety effectiveness prime.

We have not had to spend $1 on baby gear or clothes. All given as gifts or purchased with gift cards. Crib donated. Car seat, stroller, and dresser are all gifts (as will be the pack and play).

All the damage to my car from the fallen bicycle and Lena's car windshield cost us only $200 thanks to insurance.

The VW transmission may not be going out... I added some premium gas and some oil and we haven't experienced the "stumbling" transmission.

Maybe I'll add more later. It's late. I'm headed to Disneyland tomorrow with the Irvine team to celebrate all God has done through us at the Irvine campus these past 6+ months.

Praise be to God alone!

No comments: