Karis had been so excited for kindergarten until recently when she realized her friends won't be there. She's nervous about having to make new friends. The thought frightens her because of her shyness. It's killing me because she's outgoing and loves to do new things but her shyness holds her back. I thought I was just going to have to deal with my own emotions about my little girl going off to kindergarten but now I'm shouldering hers as well.
Yesterday the school held an event called The Future Is Bright where everyone moves up a grade for an hour and a half as a preview of what's to come next year. Incoming kindergarteners got to experience their new school. Karis wasn't very excited about going but we talked about how this was a chance to see her new school and what it would be like. She didn't have to talk to anyone or make new friends -- just go and have fun.
I parked the car a little up the street so that we could have a little time together and she could finish her breakfast. I noticed she started walking a little slower as we entered the school doors. She clammed up when a teacher asked for her name at the registration table. She didn't want to join the kids right away in the gymnasium (we were late arriving), so I stayed with her for a few minutes. I left her when they started breaking up into smaller groups.
| The project Karis worked on at school. |
When I picked her up, she said she had fun and that she met a new friend named Makena who spells her name the same way sissy does.
She must have felt overwhelmed because she didn't want to talk about anything else about her time at school. We went to the park afterwards and I got to ask her some more questions. I found out that when she said she met a new friend, she actually went up to the girl and asked her, "Can you be my friend?" That's huge for her and I'm so proud of her for doing that! I can't help but think that by the girl having the same name as sissy, it gave her some confidence and comfort (perhaps a gift from God for my little girl!). I have to think that she's going to be alright... but I'm still a little nervous...
I'm looking forward to meeting her teacher in August and finding out who will be in her class. That'll bring some comfort to Karis and will hopefully get her excited once again for kindergarten.
No comments:
Post a Comment