Car trouble reared its ugly head this week. See earlier post about what happened to the car. I made 15-20 calls to salvage yards on Friday. Most offered $100-200 if they offered a bid at all. The highest offer was $600. I was awaiting return calls at the end of the day Friday when Lena suggested I put it on Craigslist.org. I hadn't considered that but it was a great suggestion. I decided to shoot high and price the car at $1,000. I knew it had to be worth more than $600. We had 4 emails in 30 minutes and I started lining up appointments for this morning. The first viewer bought it for the full asking price.
I've purchased many items on Craigslist, but that was the first item I've sold. I was impressed. I was actually pretty excited that it sold so quickly and for what we were asking.
The flipside is that I wonder if I should have asked for more... ha ha. Nah, actually I think that was a fair price. Through family, vacation, and friends we should have access to a 2nd car should we need one. That'll buy us some time to process what to do now.
As much as I'd like to be a motorcycle commuter, it isn't fair to put all the daycare drop-off and pick-up on Lena. Nor the grocery shopping and Costco runs. And, we have to put the stroller in the front passenger seat of my car because it doesn't fit in the trunk. Do we buy a large sedan? a small SUV? New? 3-yr old? Well-used? We don't know. But the cool part is that neither of us are stressing about it.
We are blessed to be in the position we are in to be able to have time to make decisions, both be employed, and have the luxury of a 2nd car.
- Derek
No comments:
Post a Comment